Thursday, September 2, 2010

Why I make my own

Rachel over at Stitched in Color asked the question: why make your own?

So I'm answering this question for you, for myself, and for the giant ear that is lurking around the corner listening.

I make things because I want to. I am compelled to. I can't NOT make things. Sometimes I make a thing because I wonder if I can, sometimes it's because I want something that I made to be part of my space. Sometimes I make things for other people because I'm not very good at expressing how I feel. So I make them something that takes me forever, hand it to them, and run away all embarrassed and hope they understand what it means.

I sew things because I have a sewing machine. Because I love fabric and most of all because my mom took the time to teach me how to sew when I was a little girl.

I write music that nobody but God and possibly my husband will hear, because I figure if God puts a song in my heart then I'd better at least write it down and practice it a little. Even if I perform it to a crowd of one, sitting in my bedroom feeling slightly foolish and hoping the neighbors can't hear me.

I write stories that a few people might read, because it's fun and I secretly harbor the desire to be a good writer, even though I know in all likelihood I won't be. Ever.

I paint and draw and doodle because sometimes my hands just itch to. Because I have blank walls to fill. Because I love a good painting or drawing or print.

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. I've always been into DIY, making things out of nothing, giving my parents little drawings and handmade cards, baking them things while I was home alone so there would be something yummy for them to come home to. And now as a wife and mom, I make cards and bake goodies and design t-shirts and sew monsters because I know those things mean more than something I picked up at Target, even if they cost more to make, even if they don't look as polished as something spit out of a Chinese factory. They are somethings I put my own time and thought and effort into.

Mostly I make and do things because I feel like if God gave me even the slightest gift, the least I can do is use it. To bless others, or just to bless Him. And I hope that's what I do. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

well God obviously gave you the talent to do many things, not just good, but amazingly well. That's why I call you Mrs. Midas. I know I love your handmade gifts so keep them coming.

oh ya and welcome home! you've been gone forever!!!!

blessedby5 said...

You forgot to add walk on water;))
You rock girl!Keep it coming. You know I secretly want to be you.heehee

the shoppe owner said...

:)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Thanks so much for sharing, Jenn. I hope to stir up a collection of these posts, our little happy song of "why".

Jennifer said...

YES! YES! I will gladly nail together the soap box for you to step on!!! Totally agree and agree even more! :)