Monday, June 20, 2011

Operation: Spruce Up {a challenge}

I don't know about you, but I tend to get bogged down with projects. Most of those projects end up being for other people, whether for charity, baby showers, birthdays, etc. Every once in awhile I might make myself a dress or something, but for the most part I don't sew for myself or my house. I guess a part of me feels like it's too selfish.

But lately I realized that it's just plain weird to not sew the occasional pretty thing for my house. Or to take the time to fix up some stuff and make it look more appealing. So I've started a little project I'm calling Spruce Up.

As I said last week, I started with the mantle over my fireplace. Here it is before.


Mismatched frames. Random doodads. A painting that my husband detests. I decided to simplify and make everything white, and to clear most of the clutter. Here it is after:


I decided to gather up all my weird bottles (I have an obsession with saving all kinds of glass objects. I didn't even notice till my husband pointed it out) and put them on display. 


I spray painted that weird ceramic thing with horns and all my frames white so it would all go together, and used all the chunks of old candles I had in a ziploc and turned that bowl with legs into a new candle.


It makes me happy anyway.

I also started working on some new pillows for my couch. My old ones were hideous, drab, solid piece of fabric affairs. I decided to do a sort of medley of different designs I like in greens, blues, oranges and yellows, with shades of gray binding it all together. So far I've made these two:

HST pillow

"slicer" pillow

I've got plans for at least two more on my to-do list.

So here's where you come in: I challenge you to fix or create on easy thing for your house this week. It doesn't have to be anything spectacular as long as it makes you happy. Post about it on your blog, and put a link to your post in the comments section. Next week I'll pick some of my favorites to feature on here. Sound good? Good. Now get to it!!!

5 comments:

Lynz said...

I LOVE little spruce-ups like this! Your mantle looks amazing with the white (great idea making the candle!) and your cushions are just fabulous. I'll try really hard and make a wee something this week for me (I'm due a change round of my dresser prettiness) but I can't promise.

Kirsten said...

Your cushions are gorgeous!!

sugar pearl bakery girl... said...

I love the update to your fireplace mantle, and the awesome pillows :O)

pinkbrain said...

Love how the mantle turned out. Very fresh! Love those pillows.
Ok, I'm up for the challenge. I have some serious pillow hatred here.

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

I did mine, albeit late: http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/06/granny-style.html.