Friday, August 26, 2011

a few firsts

Yesterday I wanted to sew something quick and fun and sort of outside-the-box (for me). So I raided my scrap bin and went to town on this little potholder.

A first for me

Now it may not seem like much to all you, but I rarely make myself pretty things for use around the house. I usually give those things away and stick with my ugly but functional household objects. So I'm pretty happy about this little potholder because it represents a shift in my thinking. Lately I've really been feeling that while it's super awesome to give away most of what I make, I should make pretty things for my house, too. I want my kids to be generous and to think about others and how they can bless them. But I also want them to know that the same consideration is given to them and the environment they live in. So here's to turning over a new leaf!

Also, if you look on the sidebar over there you might notice that I have 100 followers. For some people that's so not a big deal, and I know that really popular blogs can have thousands. But for little ole me, it's kinda cool. I've never done anything to promote people becoming followers so I feel like if they (or you) did it's because you like something here and that makes me smile. SO. I've got a little celebration in the works over here in honor of all of you. Stay tuned for that!


8 comments:

Leanne said...

Congratulations on reaching 100 followers! I love your potholder, and the Enterprise too! It is true, it is a good lesson to also value and care for your own spaces with nice things, in addition to giving to others.

CapitolaQuilter said...

Good for you - I think it's great and I was thinking the same thing when I was using my yucky store bought pot holder but didn't actually DO anything about it. I'm inspired.

Jacey said...

I LOVE your new potholder. So cute! I know what you mean about giving things away. It's a great feeling, but it's important to do things for yourself and your family, too. And congrats on 100 followers!

Lynz said...

What's that saying about only having stuff in your house that is useful or beautiful? I think sometimes we forget the two aren't mutually exclusive and that you CAN own things that are useful AND pretty!! And that is one rather lovely pot holder!

Congrats on 100 followers! I'm like you with the no promotion thing so when I hit 100 at Easter I was very excited!

Suzanne said...

Very cute pot holder and I totally support making things for yourself. I'm trying to work on that at my house.

tusen said...

Congratulations on 100 followers (or 102 as I can see)
I like your potholder very much. And your idea just made me realize that my kitchen needs a new oven glove :)

elnorac said...

Yayyy! I'm number 104! Better late than never, right? I, like all of your other followers, no doubt, adore your style. Thanks for sharing your awe-inspiring work with us.

Today Senior said...

Thanks greatt post