Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Fruit of an Icky Day

Yesterday was, for lack of a better word--ICKY.

Okay so nothing truly awful happened, and I know I have a lot to be grateful for...but still. It was one of those days where by the end of it you burst into tears for no apparent reason and it feels like you're wearing your shoulders as earrings cause you're so tense. 

Part of it was being stuck in the back room for half the day with loud children because the carpets were getting cleaned. Part of it was one of those children went HOURS past naptime because the carpet cleaning guy was extremely late and the room with the crib needed to be cleaned. Another part was having an ice-cold house with wet carpets all day. Part of it was waiting in a doctors office for over an hour just to have that doctor come in and say, Oh, you came in for nothing. Which is something to be grateful for on the one hand, but it did nothing to improve my mood.

The whole day was like one long, tense, loud, uncomfortable mess. BUT.

Since I was stuck in the back room which also happens to be where I sew, I figured I might as well work on some stuff. First off I made my blocks for this months do. Good Stitches quilt.

March Blocks for do.Good Stitches

Then I worked on this little project. Yes, I really did try cathedral windows again. I was wondering if maybe making big ones would make them more fun. The answer is no, not really, but this time I didn't burn my fingers with the iron as much so that's good. And I do LOVE this look, so it makes the irritation of the process fade quickly when you behold the finished product.

sneaky peaky

I want to add buttons to the intersections but I can't decide if it would look better with white or light wooden buttons. Thoughts?

3 comments:

Ali said...

I like the idea of wood buttons! I hope today goes better. :)

Wendy said...

I love your catheral window - is it a hard technique then? It looks it. Not sure about the buttons, can you put one of each on (not sewn!) and show us?

Jenn Grigoryev (jenn of all trades) said...

Thanks both for the encouragement!

Wendy--it's not so much a hard technique as a fussy, time-consuming one. I used this tutorial from Hyena in Petticoats to do it the first time: Cathedral Window Tutorial.