Wednesday, June 6, 2012

#4--WIP Wednesday

The last two days I spent at the beach and at a friend's house visiting, and today I find myself with a wide-open day, no gas to run errands, and a house still surprisingly clean from yesterday. What's a girl to do? Why, tackle something from the very public to-do list she just posted, of course!

I went straight to the studio to make an inventory of half-finished, mostly finished, and barely started WIP's, and guess how many I found?

Three. 

What? That's IT? I could have sworn I'd had at least a dozen in there--hiding in crevasses, peeking from under fabric piles, looming in the dark corners of the closet just waiting to rear their ugly heads and make me feel unorganized and out-of-control for starting so many things I'd neglected to finish. Cause that's how those things make me feel...like I'll never feel the satisfaction of a job well done because there will always be one more unfinished object hanging over my head. Finding out that I have only three makes me feel pretty good about my chances of crossing #4 off my list.

So here they are:



#1--The fabric map I started in, what, November? October? Way too long ago, that's for sure. It's almost done, all I need to do is stitch around the border of the country. Originally I'd wanted to stitch around each individual state, but since this is destined to be behind glass (I want to frame it for the school area) I don't feel it's necessary. So this one should be a quick finish. 



#2--A painting I started last year, and then put in the closet and forgot about it. A good friend of mine still talks about how she wants to see it finished, so I'm going to do it!


#3--This is the one that makes me cringe. Last YEAR'S Summer Sampler quilt. Oye. I can't believe it's been a year with it sitting in my closet. The main reason (yes, I'm making excuses. Shut up.) is because I was thinking I wanted it to be more of a comforter than a quilt. So I used to TWO layers of hi-loft batting between the layers. Which makes it extra fluffy, and an extra big pain in the butt to get through my machine. Thus its year-long confinement in the back of my studio closet. 

Being that #3 is the most shameful, that is the one I will be tackling today. I. WILL. FINISH. THIS. Today. Hopefully. Maybe. I'll let you know.

Have any of you come up with lists of your own yet? If you do, put in a link in the comment section so I can read about it. Now that I've made my list, I keep feeling tempted to add more things as I think of them, but I'm committed to keeping it limited so it's more attainable. But I'm still really interested in the things other people really want to do. :)

3 comments:

Lindsay Conner said...

Love you fabric map!

Katie Ringo said...

Wow the fabric map is amazing!

Jennifer R said...

YAY!!! Love it ALL... and yes yes yes finish that painting! Can't wait!!!
That map is awesome - so inspired to actually learn each states placement :0 hee hee.