Tuesday, February 19, 2013

February Pick-a-Pin + Progress

Hello all!

Well let me just say I am soooo ready to be able to catch my breath, so to speak, from all the craziness that has been going on lately. Between tons of home maintenance projects, my first 5k, traveling to D.C., and being completely hit-and-miss with homeschooling, I feel sort of desperate to get back into a good routine here.

That being said, here are a few pictures from that 5k.


Waiting to start. It was kinda boring to wait alone, since most people were with a partner or team.


You probably can't tell, but I am making the stupidest face up there. This time, however, it was on purpose. Acting like a goofball for my watching kids kept it fun.


Crossing the finish line at 37:02. Not my best time, but I was recovering from a shin splint and didn't want to overdo it. Plus, honestly, I just wanted to enjoy it, and finish it. I'll have plenty of opportunities to improve my race time.

All in all it was a lot of fun, the only hitch being the hitch I had to keep giving my pants--they were falling off the whole race and eventually I just pulled them up, and used the safety pins from my bib number to pin my waistband to my shirt, hahaha. Necessity is the mother of invention, right?

Now, only to other things. I picked a few pins for this month, one of which I completed this morning, and one that is currently in progress.

First one is this organizational project:



I have been in dire need of doing this for quite some time. We had two filing boxes completely packed with who knows what, and nothing was even kind of organized. So this morning, armed with a sharpie and a full pack of manila dividers, I conquered the paperwork mountain. And now I can breathe easy.

Project number two is this years gardening experiment.



Ever since forever I have wanted a veggie garden. The first year we owned this house, I had one 4 x 8 raised bed and one tiny 4 x 4 foot square. Year two I put in two more long beds. Last year I tacked on a 15 foot square bed. But the problem is nothing grows that great here. The cause? Southern root knot nematodes. Gah I hate them! Everything starts out great and then in the early summer everything just keels over and dies. It's so frustrating! So this year I'm experimenting with hay bale gardening. I figure I can test it out, and see if the nematodes are able to infiltrate the hay. I am only starting with four bales--if it works I'll definitely do more next year. Right now I'm in the "bale conditioning phase". I can't wait to get planting!!

Anyone have any pins that they've tried out this month?

No comments: