Thursday, April 4, 2013

what I like about my job

It shames me to admit it, but sometimes there's a part of me that starts to feel like a failure when I write "Homemaker" as my occupation in paperwork. As if making money is the only thing that validates people. I also admit to having days where I would love to boot my kids out the door and let a paid teacher deal with their attitudes, grade their work, etc.

But that's only sometimes. Ninety percent of the time I love my job: I love the comfort of being at home,  and of knowing my kids aren't being exposed to all kinds of garbage unbeknownst to myself and my husband. I love the freedom of being able to take a break when we need it and not just when a dead president has a birthday. Mostly I love having my kids around, even when the noise level is overwhelmingly irritating and the sound effects are reaching critical mass.

Plus, I just love that I can sit around making something silly like this--something useless and geeky, the only purpose of which is to make my kids laugh.


Here's to homemakering, homeschooling, and to tiny polymer clay Daleks. Cheers!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

From a fellow home maker, home schooler and crafter - cheers to you! I'm new to your blog, but I look forward to reading through it, when the small people around me at all hours of the day allow. I've yet to start Dr. Who...