Tuesday, May 14, 2013

clarity

I know I say this a lot, but this past month was really, really busy. Every weekend of the calendar was completely filled with races, fetes, flights in, flights out, inspections, birthdays, and the little dots that indicate days my children are grounded from video games.

Between the weekends of preplanned insanity we had busyness of the impromptu, outdoor variety: beach days, water park days, days of laying around our pool, days of laying around the pool at my mom's timeshare in Orlando...suffice it to say there was a great deal of water-related activity this month.   


We were excited to have my mom and stepbrother come to visit and there were thrift-store runs, ice skating, and more ice cream consumed in a week than we probably see in two years. 



I got to hold my little nephew a lot, my youngest started to swim, my mom and I ran a race (more on that later), and we got to enjoy the brief time in Florida where the sun feels great and the water is refreshing and everyone is tan. Soon enough we'll be in the doldrums of 100% humidity, pee-warm pools, and the reversion back to pasty-white as we cower in our air-conditioned hidey holes. 

Anyway, all this is to say that we did more in the last few months than we have since the year started, and thanks to our ten-year-old point and shoot camera finally giving up the ghost, we have no pictures to show for it. I was complaining to my husband about feeling like we aren't recording anything anymore, and how much we'll regret it later, and he finally agreed to let me use our credit card points to get a new a camera. 

What? REALLY??

You can bet your butts I went and ordered it right away before he changed his mind and decided to get a chainsaw or something instead. 

Yesterday it arrived, and I found myself suddenly owning a Canon Rebel T3i, with all its gadgets and accoutrements. This morning I started playing with it. Now granted, I quite literally have no idea what I'm doing with it. I need to have my talented sister-in-law show me how to use it because I don't want to have a camera like this and only know how to put it on "auto," y'know? And I will learn. I know that. But in the meantime...oh, the clarity

pick

for you

givin' me the eyes

bleeding

Yay for better pictures! 

2 comments:

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Woa, the photos really do look great! Good move buying fast. Those men and their chainsaws...

mrs.deane said...

I was almost crying when I read the part about cowering in air-conditioned hidey holes. That was totally us when we lived in Maryland during the summer months. YUCK.

Yay for a new camera and gorgeous pictures!!!

I hope to learn how to really use my Nikon someday, too. I think I need to take an actual class. The DVD videos were not very helpful :O(

Hugs,
Susan