Last night my husband was off having some man time at church, so I figured hey--might as well start on yet another project so I can have even MORE half-finished things laying all over my sewing room. So I went ahead and cut out all the petals for the Dresden quilt along. Just now I pieced them all together, and I have to admit it was satisfyingly fast.
Then I had the chance to try it against some different backgrounds to see which one I like best. Someone on Flickr suggested yellow, so I busted out my yellow Nicey Jane to try it out. BLECH. It was awful! The yellow "Wash Day Ticking" is one of my favorite fabrics ever and it nearly ruined it for me. I can't even describe how horrid and sickly and just...well...nasty it looked. So I decided to go for my old standby--gray!
I didn't want to go with Kona Ash because that's what I always pick, but decided instead on some Patty Young that I really like. I think the pattern is not so crazy as to make the whole thing too busy, but that could just be me.
On a related note, I am really bad about "skimming" directions. Things I especially don't notice are finished dimensions. I cut out enough for two circles, thinking, "Oh! These will be cute pillows!" But alas, the finished circle is hugemongous so unless that pillow is a floor cushion....wait....hmmmmm....