Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Heartbreaker

Anyone remember the old school Atari "Breakout" game? Well, for years now I've been wanting to make a quilt based on that game. I think it was the rainbow stripes that appealed to me the most. Anyway, at first I was planning on making a big one for my husband, but then I discovered that he wants me to make him something ridiculous and complicated that makes me want to curl into the fetal position and go night-night for a millennia or two. So the idea of a big one was scrapped. But after making my doll quilt I thought--why not just make a little one and get it out of my system?

Heartbreaker

So that's what I did. This took me a few days of leisurely putting around and gives me that happy, got-it-out-of-my-system, instant gratification feeling. Even with all the mistakes, miscalculations, and crooked quilting. I still love it. Plus I just think the heart is funny.

Now that I started and finished this little guy, I should probably get back to all the half-finished projects I've got laying around, dying for a lack of attention. But I don't wanna! I want more fast projects!!

Oh well.

6 comments:

Jennifer Ru said...

Cool! This inspires me to create a Pong one for my hubby - maybe a coffee cozy for work. :) very neat!

And this would be . . . . said...

I love that game! Also love this, you are so creative.

Anonymous said...

I *love* this. Let your inner geek flag fly!

Lynne (Lily's Quilts) said...

I love this, love the idea and the execution and I love doing these little projects just for fun, just to try something out.

Amber H. said...

I must be too young since I've never heard of this game, but I realy like what you did here!

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Breakout was always a favorite game of mine. I love that you put a heart in the center.

I love making mini-quilts for many reasons. One of them is to get an idea out of my head without having to make a big project. Plus, you can hang it on the wall and show it off. It's hard to show off a dozen king size quilts but it is no problem to hand 12 mini quilts around the house.